Makes: 10 ounces
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 16 ounces organic Spanish peanuts
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unrefined sea salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons honey, raw unfiltered
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the peanuts under cool water to remove excess dirt. Pat dry and place in a large bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil and 2 tablespoons salt until well coated.
- Place on a sheet pan, spread out in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through. After roasting, let cool enough to handle, then remove shells and discard.
- Rub the peanuts between your hands and let them fall onto a towel as they separate from the skins. Discard the skins. Place the peanuts, remaining salt and honey into a food processor. Scrape down the sides and place the lid back on. Drizzle in the remaining coconut oil while processing, for about 2 minutes, or until you reach your desired consistency.
- Place in a jar and stored refrigerated for up to 2 months.
Amino acids are part of the chains that make up proteins, and there are 20 of these amino acids that are considered ‘essential’ to human health. We call these essential amino acids (clever, eh?). Peanuts contain phenylalanine, which is necessary for normal functioning of the central nervous system. This amino acid has been used effectively to address depression and chronic pain. Phenylalanine is especially effective is treating brain disorders as it is able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier through the creation of tyrosine. Phenylalanine can be especially helpful in thyroid disorders.