- 2 cups rolled oats, rinsed and soaked in 4 cups water overnight.
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup green apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Rinse the oats in a colander. Soak oats in water overnight at room temperature. The bacteria will begin to break down the outer shell of the grain for easier digestibility. The oats will absorb the water and may have an almost slimy quality when it is done. This is what makes it so soothing and healing to the GI tract. It coats, soothes and slimes it up! (The sliminess goes away once you heat it.)
- Cook apple, butter, cinnamon and lemon over medium heat until apples are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Add oatmeal and water and cook for 3-5 minutes, adding extra water as needed for desired consistence. Cook 5 minutes or until well heated. Oats are very forgiving, if you use too much water, just cook them a little longer and they will absorb the liquid. If you didn't add enough, you can always add more. Serve!
Digestion gets a double whammy with this wonderful combination! The fiber from the oats and apples in this apple pie oatmeal may get even the most stubborn intestines moving! A great way to rev up your engine for the day. The addition of cinnamon and butter also helps to balance out your blood sugar and keep your energy levels stable.