Baked Sweet Potatoes with Kale and Walnuts
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce each sweet potato with a fork or knife several times. Wrap in foil and bake directly on oven rack for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet sauté kale and garlic in butter until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut each of the baked sweet potatoes in half. Gently break the sweet potato away from the skin and mash up a bit with a bit butter, if desired. Divide the kale evenly between the potatoes and top with walnuts and chives.
Sweet potatoes contain a number of nutrients, but have an especially high percentage of vitamin A which helps to fight free radicals and boost the health of skin and eyes. These tubers also contain substantial amounts of vitamin B6 and potassium which support heart health. Walnuts are also a very heart-healthy food and in addition, contain omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamin E. Kale is a hearty leafy green that is jam packed with antioxidants and whole lot of fiber.
This is one nutrient-dense side dish!