- 1 cup buckwheat, whole grain, soaked overnight
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, (or flax seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, (optional)
- 1 medium banana
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- Soak buckwheat overnight in water and lemon. Rinse thoroughly in the AM before cooking.
- Add water to buckwheat in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add sunflower seeds (or flax seeds) and cinnamon.
- Chop banana into small pieces and add to the porridge. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Bananas will mash into the buckwheat, naturally sweetening it.
- Top with blueberries and serve. (Butter or cream can also be added for those who tolerate daily)
Buckwheat is a high protein, high fiber, magnesium rich, "grain-like" food. Despite containing the word "wheat", it is actually gluten-free! Although we tend to consider it a grain, it is really a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel.
These seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients for your heart. Their magnesium content helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system and keeps bone strong. Its fiber content also boasts cholesterol lowering and colon cleansing benefits.
Add in the natural sweetness of bananas, the antioxidants of blueberries, and the healthy fats from the seeds and butter, and you have one healthy and satisfying breakfast!