- 1 pound bacon, nitrate free, cut into lardons
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, minced
- 2 28 ounce can baked beans
- 1 15oz can , drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark maple syrup, (optional)
- 2 teaspoons
- 2 tablespoons
1. In a dutch oven brown bacon and drain off grease.
2. Add onions and green peppers to dutch oven and saute until onions are soft and just beginning to brown. Add tomatoes, beans, salt, maple syrup, mustard, and vinegar. Transfer pork and beans to an oven safe baking dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
*For a slow cooked version, leave pork and beans in the dutch oven and simmer over low heat for 2-4 hours.
Can you say abundant fiber?! When it comes to this baked beans recipe there' so much to rave about! From the fiber, minerals, and quality protein, this is truly a meal in itself. For a vegetarian option, simply eliminate the bacon and Whala! You have a vegetarian baked beans recipe to drool over!