Total Time: 55 minutes
- 5 ounces black trumpet mushrooms
- 5 ounces crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- 8 medium egg yolks, yolks and whites separated
- 1 salt
- 1 ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Saute mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes. Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool. Beat egg yolks into mushroom mixture. Whisk egg whites until stiff in a separate bowl until they begin to become stiff, then fold into mushrooms. Pour into a buttered souffle dish and bake until firmed up between 30 and 40 minutes.
Mushrooms contain valuable trace elements selenium and zinc. These are small, but essential nutrients that can affect significant change in your body. And unlike a multivitamin, the trace nutrients found in mushrooms come from plant-based compounds known as phytochemicals, also referred to as antioxidants powerful players in the prevention of cancer.