Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 medium carrots, organic, washed with tops removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste, *
- 2 tablespoons lemon, preserved*, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 crushed red pepper flakes
- Slice carrots by hand or using a food processor.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, preserved lemon and harissa in the bottom of a medium bowl. Transfer the carrots to the bowl and toss in the dressing. Add the parsley and red pepper flakes and mix to combine.
The benefits of this zesty carrot salad are pretty easy to remember— the goodness of carrots comes from carotenoids. These guys have been found to play a role in staving off some cancers as well as eye disease, likely through their antioxidants. Their beta-carotene content (another easy one to remember!) can easily be converted into vitamin A. The lutein found in carrots appears to act as a filter, absorbing the nasty effects of damaging UV rays that enter the retina. The greatest benefit of carrots seems to be that only a small change in consumption habits can make a difference— even just upping your intake to twice a week can help you on your way to x-ray vision… or at least healthy, clear eyes!