Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, or preserved lemon
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil, organic
- 2 tablespoons brewers yeast
- 1 salt
- Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until you achieve an even pesto-like consistency.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This pesto is cheesy! And dairy free! Seriously though, it really does taste like cheese and won’t make you regret it! The combination of the buttery and satisfying cashews jazzed up with the brewer’s yeast actually serve to mimic the salty umami taste of parmesan, and give you loads of nutritional benefits to boot. I’m swimming in fresh herbs right now and needed a way to use them before I would lose them and packing a jar full of this pesto into the fridge, ready at a moment’s notice, guarantees that I will dip a random raw vegetable in it or dress up a sweet potato or some other healthy comfort food.
We know nuts pack an amazing nutritional punch. They are rich in protein and healthy fats such as monounsaturated fatty acids, which assist in the transport of HDL through the bloodstream. This means they are beneficial for cardiac health. Just one more example of how fat is not the villain it was once portrayed to be. They are also fabulously high in minerals, so snack away!