Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Hoisin Sauce
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, unrefined
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, gluten free
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, unrefined extra virgin
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 4 6oz chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, gluten free
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
Wraps and Garnish Ingredients
- 16 butter lettuce, leaves (or iceberg)
- 3 large carrots, cut into matchstick size slivers
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- To prepare sauce, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- To prepare filling, heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and cook until translucent. Add chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the hoisin sauce and green onions to the pan and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Assemble the wraps. Layer lettuce leaves with a heaping spoonful of filling and top with carrot slivers, peanuts, and a sprinkle of green onions.
Chicken has an incredible amount of protein for its low calorie content. Chicken is also loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, which are helpful in preventing cataracts and boosting energy and immunity. If you don’t have an allergy, peanuts are a great source of monounsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E.
These chicken lettuce wraps are a perfect carb-free lunch and are easy to throw together mid-week if you make the filling and sauce ingredients ahead of time. Just don’t place into the lettuce leaves until the last minute to keep them from getting soggy!