Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons honey, raw unfiltered
- 1/2 cup olive oil, unrefined extra virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 ribs of celery, pale center leaves reserved
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, stems removed
- In a bowl combine the lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper with a whisk. Add oil, then mix until smooth. Add raisins to the dressing and let stand while the rest of the salad is prepared.
- Thinly slice the celery and toss with the rinsed and drained chickpeas, plus half of the celery leaves and parsley leaves. Once combined, toss the chickpea and celery mixture with the dressing and raisins to coat.
- Garnish the salad with the remaining celery and parsley leaves. (Can be made up to a day in advance.)
Health Benefits of Chickpea & Celery Salad
Garbanzo beans are an amazing source of protein for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Rich in fiber, these tasty nuggets not only satisfy your body’s need for protein, but you colon's need for fiber as well! So if you find your digestion to be sluggish, incorporate beans, or more specifically this chickpea & celery salad!
Do you love beans, but hate the embarrassing flatulence that sometimes follows? Soak dried beans overnight in water and cook beans in kombu (a type of seaweed). This helps break down complex carbohydrates, making nutrients easier to absorb, and gas less likely!