Coconut Creamed Quinoa With Tropical Fruit
- 2 cups quinoa, pre-soaked and cooked
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1/4 cup frozen peaches
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins, or chopped dates
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a blender purée together the coconut milk, mango, peaches and pineapple until smooth.
- In a saucepan combine the purée and the quinoa and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, raisins, salt and butter. Simmer for an additional five minutes and serve.
Health Benefits of Coconut Creamed Quinoa with Tropical Fruit
Quinoa has superior nutritional qualities and when cooked in water, the seeds increase in size dramatically. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is a complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa’s amino acid profile is well balanced and is a good choice for vegans. It is also well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair.
Coconut has a wonderful fatty acid profile and is known for it’s antimicrobial properties. The pineapple and mango also contain amazing enzymes that help to facilitate digestion!