Coconut Pecan Stuffed Chocolate Covered Dates, Oh My!
Makes: 30 dates
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
For the Stuffed Dates Ingredients
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened, plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 30 large medjool dates
For the Dipping Chocolate Ingredients
- 2 4oz bars ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
- Place the shredded coconut, pecans, salt, vanilla and cinnamon in a food processor. Process until mixtures begins to clump together. Set aside.
- Cut the dates in half lengthwise on one side and remove the pit. Stuff a small amount of coconut pecan mixture into each date and press to close. Place dates in the refrigerator.
- In a small double boiler melt chocolate. Remove dates from the fridge and using two spoons, dip the cold dates in the chocolate. Roll each to cover completely and then lift out letting the excess chocolate drip off before placing on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of each date. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Dates are the fruit of the date palm tree. They are raw and unprocessed (but read the ingredient list just to make sure), and they have lots of nutrients such as potassium, iron, and vitamin A. They are also high in fiber and are a fabulous refined sugar alternative!
You can also make a paste with dates to sweeten smoothies, beverages, baked goods, and sauces. Simply use dried dates and soak them in warm water overnight. Then blend the dates with some of the water used to soak them until you reach a consistency that is similar to honey. (When I make my own almond milk, I add some dried date paste to sweeten the batch.)