Crab Stuffed Sole With Lime Coriander Broth
Coriander Broth Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 fresh ginger, (1 inch piece), coarsely chopped
- 1½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 aniseed, pod
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 cups water
Snapper and Spiced Crab Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon cumin, seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander, seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 star anise, pod broken
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 pounds lump crab meat, picked over
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 sea salt and pepper
- 6 sole fillets, 2-3 oz. each
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, garlic and ginger and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the coriander seeds, crushed red pepper, cardamom, star anise, peppercorns, cilantro, basil sprigs and lime leaves and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, fish sauce, lime juice and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until reduced by half. Strain the broth into a small saucepan.
- In a small skillet, combine the cumin, cardamom, coriander, fennel and star anise and toast over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool, then grind to a fine powder.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil, then add the onion, celery and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the ground spices and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Fold in the crab meat, cilantro and lime juices and remove from the heat.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet or casserole dish. Lay out the sole fillets on a flat surface. Place 1-2 tablespoons of the crab mixture on top of the sole. Gently roll the sole lengthwise into a roll. Place in dish or cookie sheet with end of the roll down so it doesn’t unroll. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining fillets. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Evenly distribute any leftover stuffing between 6 bowls. Top with a stuffed sole fillet and drizzle with Coriander broth. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
This recipe is not only restaurant-worthy (you’ll feel so accomplished after you make it!), but it is also a tummy-soothing, digestive-stimulating antioxidant powerhouse! Omega 3 fatty acids and ginger pack the anti-inflammatory punch which lime juice and fennel stimulate digestion.