Total Time: 25 minutes, plus chilling time
- 2 12oz fresh cranberries, bags
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 medium orange, peeled
- 1 cup muscat dessert wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a blender combine mango, orange and Muscat wine. Blend until smooth.
- Put cranberries and mango mixture in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg and cook, stirring constantly until the cranberries start to explode and mixture thickens (about 10-15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Allow to cool before serving.
Cranberry sauce isn't always the most exciting dish in the holiday table spread, but when you whip out something like this crazy drunken cranberry sauce, you're sure to get head nods all around! While I absolutely love it on my turkey, I bet it would be amazing as a dessert side too— perhaps on top of this yummy pear tart!
In general, cranberries are great for urinary tract health. They contain proanthocyanidins (PACs), which have anti-adhesive properties, physically preventing bacteria from sticking and multiplying. These PACs are structurally different from those found in other fruits and vegetables, making this an extremely unique property of the berry. Cranberries can even prevent gross bugs like Streptococcus from sticking in the mouth! Odds are, if there is something that shouldn’t be in the body, cranberries have a way of either sloughing it off, preventing its camping out, or making its environment inhospitable… so eat up!