Total Time: 3 minutes
- 2 tablespoons dark maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces water, (Fresh Mint leaves as garnish optional)
- Combine all ingredients and pour over ice. Enjoy!
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled and put into a sports bottle for convenience.
- I like lots of cayenne pepper, but others like it much milder, so I suggest starting with a little and then gradually increase to find the amount that is right for you.
- This is also great as a hot beverage during the winter, as it is very warming and comforting when you are sick and need help breaking up mucus.
Maple syrup contains a whole host of important minerals. The electrolytes of zinc, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium chloride all occur in their natural ratios within this sweetener. The high level of manganese works as an essential co-factor for a number of enzymes reactions and is important for energy production and antioxidant defenses. Is grade B maple syrup considered a Good Decision? Yes!
Lemon is also abundant in electrolytes. It contains potassium and small amounts of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Not to mention it has a huge kick of vitamin C, making this drink great for your immune system.
Cayenne pepper contributes vitamin A, and it is known for its pain-relieving effects, cardiovascular benefits, ability to help prevent ulcers, as well as its ability to break up mucus (great for when you’re sick). Cayenne is also a driving herb, which helps increase the absorption of all the other minerals.
Minerals are essential for our functioning and without them, fluids cannot be properly regulated in our bodies. You don’t need much of this mixture to experience positive results (as little as one cup a day), but if you’re dehydrated, make sure you fuel up! Whether you’re down with the flu, have suffered a bout of diarrhea, just played an intense game of tennis, or find yourself waking up in the middle of the night screaming because your calf muscle has cramped, this electrolyte lemonade is for you!