Fresh Rolls with Soy-Free Peanut Sauce
Makes: 8-10 rolls
Total Time: 45 minutes
Fresh Roll Ingredients
- 1 package of vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into thin slices
- 1 large cucumber, cut into thin slices
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 large carrots, cut into thin slices
- 1 package spring roll rice paper
Soy-Free Peanut Sauce Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sesame oil, unrefined
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey, raw unfiltered
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Slice veggies and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil. Add vermicelli noodles and simmer until soft, about 6-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare peanut sauce by mixing peanut butter, honey, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl until combined.
- Pour hot water (hot, but not boiling) into a large skillet. Create a work station to make the rolls by using a wet, plastic cutting board with your thinly sliced vegetables nearby. Dip rice paper in hot water for 5-10 seconds until it becomes soft. Lay on cutting board and place desired amount of veggies, cilantro, and vermicelli noodles in center.
- Fold sides inward, rolling away from you. Make sure to roll tightly but not too tight or it will break. This can be a bit tricky to get the hang of!
- Enjoy immediately or save for lunch/snacks for the following day.
Health Benefits of Fresh Rolls
These rolls make for a super light lunch alternative or a nice mid-day snack. The veggies provide most of the nutrition of the rolls. Bell peppers are very high in immune-boosting vitamin C. The cucumbers are full of electrolytes and great for hydrating the body and calming inflammation. Carrots are high in skin healing vitamin A and other antioxidants. Cilantro is a powerful cleansing agent, especially for detoxifying the body of heavy metals.
These hand-held fresh rolls are a fun way to get your kids to eat healthful veggies (the peanut sauce makes them especially tasty) and they are also really easy to pack away in lunch boxes!