Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons
- 4 cod fillets, 6-8 ounces each
- 1 unrefined sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons curly cress, to garnish
1. Heat ghee in cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Place cod in skillet and spoon ghee over the top of the fish to coat. Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. When cod is just starting to brown, flip fish and cook an additional 3 minutes or until almost firm.
2. Remove from pan and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. (It will continue to cook) This is the secret to moist and tender yet crispy cod.
Garnish with fresh curly cress and serve.
This pairs amazingly well with Roasted Potatoes with Mushrooms, Onions, and Garlic and Crispy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
We all know the benefits of fish to the heart and circulatory system, this fried cod with red pepper and curly cress is no exception. So lets talk about this new ingredient curly cress.
Curly cress, also known as pepper grass, is in the same family as Broccoli, Cabbage, Mustard, Radish. The flavor is similar to watercress but I believe more flavorful. It has a spicy peppery complexity that livens up any simple dish and may be some of the most flavorful little greens you have experienced. Cress contains 20 to 25% protein, Vitamins A, B, C, and E, along with calcium, iron magnesium, and potassium.
I purchase my cress seeds at Sprout People and sprout them myself. If you want to have some fun sprouting you can purchase yours here: https://sproutpeople.org/curly-cress-micro-greens/