Makes: 16 deviled eggs
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 8 eggs, large
- 1½ tablespoons sweet pickles, minced
- 1½ tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 sea salt and pepper
- 1 pinch paprika, for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, (optional)
- Place eggs in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes. Drain and replace with ice water to stop eggs from cooking.
- Remove the egg shells and halve them lengthwise.
- Remove yolks and place in a small bowl. Mash yolks with a fork and stir in sweet pickles, shallots, mustard and vinegar. Add salt, pepper and blend until creamy. If mixture is dry add sweet pickle juice until desired thickness is reached. (If you are not sensitive to dairy, adding in 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream is delicious in this recipe!)
- Spoon the mixture into the center of the egg whites or use a pastry bag to pipe. Garnish with a dash of paprika and chives (optional).
Eggs are one of the most complete sources of all essential amino acids, making them a wonderful option for a hearty dose of protein. Often given a bad rap for their cholesterol content, eggs are making their way back to the list of healthy foods. Cholesterol in foods, it turns out, is not the enemy we once thought it was and it actually has many vital roles in the body such as supporting proper hormone production and stabilizing our cell walls. So go ahead, enjoy these deviled eggs and all the goodness they have to offer!