Harissa Roasted Veggies with Whipped Coconut Cream
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon harissa spice, plus 1 tsp.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots, halved (should be on the smaller side)
- 1½ pounds brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 can coconut milk, cooled overnight in the fridge
- 1 tablespoon honey, raw unfiltered
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Make your own harissa spice paste.
- Combine harissa, olive oil and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add carrots and brussels sprouts and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread veggies in large casserole dish and cook for 35-45 minutes until brussels sprouts are crisped on the edges and carrots are soft, but not limp.
For Coconut Cream
- While veggies are roasting, whip coconut cream in a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) on high for 15 minutes or until cream becomes thick and aerated.
- With a spatula, fold in honey and cloves. Drizzle over roasted veggies. Enjoy!
Harissa spice paste is mainly composed of a blend of different chili peppers. Chili peppers contain capsaicin which not only gives them their heat but also has anti-inflammatory effects and can also help to boost the metabolism. Carrots have an abundance of vitamin A that promotes healthy skin an eyes, as well as carotenoids that make for a healthy heart. Brussels Sprouts contain antioxidants as well as folate and vitamin C. Both garlic and coconut are antimicrobial in nature and with thus fortify your immune system and fight-off the bad guys.
Knowing how nutrient-dense a side dish like this is makes it taste even that much better! Maybe it’s just me?