- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the stem ends of the beets and discard. Slice the beets as thinly as you can safely slice them (or use a mandolin). They should be so thin they curl a bit at the edges. Do your best to slice them evenly to ensure even cooking.
- Toss the beets with the olive oil in a medium bowl.
- Spread the slices out on a sheet pan, without overlapping.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the slices over and rotate the pan.
- Cook time will depend on your oven, and will vary from 20-40 minutes. Just keep an eye on them and remove when they begin to get crispy brown spots. Remove and let cool.
- Toss with salt to serve. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Beets
Beets are incredible detoxifiers! They provide the body with a rich source of antioxidants to help fight free radicals and pollutants. The betalain pigments that give beets their deep reddish purple color are especially beneficial for cleansing the liver and helping to move toxins out of the bloodstream. A congested liver can contribute to conditions such as hemorrhoids, headaches and hormonal imbalances, to name only a few. Beets also contain essential nutrients like vitamin C, fiber, potassium, manganese and folate.
Just beware that eating beets will likely turn your feces red! Nothing to be worried about, just a reminder of how potent that nutrient-dense color really is!
Read more about the health benefits of beets in our All-Star Food section.