- 1/2 cup dried dandelion root
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup orange, (peel)
- 1½ cups 100 proof vodka, (approximate)
- Finely chop dandelion root, ginger root, and orange peel.
- Put all herbs into a clean 12 oz mason jar. Pour vodka over the herb mixture and fill to the very top of the jar. Be sure your herb mixture is completely covered.
- Label your jar with the name of the herbs, the date, the alcohol strength, and the parts used. Allow to extract for 6 to 8 weeks, shaking the jar often.
- Strain the herbs out with cheesecloth and squeeze any remaining liquid in the herbs back into the extract. Bottle the liquid in amber dropper bottles and label accordingly. When stored in a cool dry location they will last for up to one year.
Dose: To promote healthy digestion, enjoy ¼ teaspoon (or approximately one full dropper) before and after meals.
Do you feel gassy? Bloated? Do you ever feel like food sits in your gut after you eat a meal and wish you could just put a fire hose down your throat to flush it out? I have. Sluggish digestion is no fun, which is why this recipe for homemade digestive bitters may be one of the most valuable recipes on this site. Homemade digestive bitters stimulate the secretion of gastric juices, aid digestion, ease constipation, and even increase nutrient absorption.
Acid reflux, indigestion and constipation are all signs of sluggish digestion, which can often be easily resolved by slowing down and chewing your food well, being relaxed when you eat, and stimulating your digestive juices with a little hit of digestive bitters before and after meals. Don't underestimate the healing powers of bitter herbs because just a tiny spoonful of this stuff is really powerful!
Are you ready to banish the bloat? Give this easy recipe a try and let us know how it works for you!