- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 tablespoon
- 1 cup olive oil, unrefined extra virgin
- to taste sea salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and process with a hand blender until mixture begins to thicken, about 20 seconds.
- Continue to process with an up and down motion until thick and smooth, about 20-30 seconds longer.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Health Benefits of Homemade Mayonnaise
Next time you're in a supermarket, take a look at the ingredient lists of any of the mayos on the shelf and you'll see many icky things! Your typical store-bought mayo contains a base of vegetable oil like canola or soybean which are extracted using solvents and are especially dangerous when hydrogenated (think trans fats). Even the brands that boast olive oil on their labels in big letters are only fooling you, as they are mainly still using vegetable oils. These brands often also contain added sugars and other chemicals too. So if you happen to eat a lot of chicken salad, these types of mayonnaise aren't doing you any favors!
The benefits of making your own are all in the ingredients. We keep it simple, including only the necessary basics, and use heart-healthy olive oil as the base. Now yes, there are a few health-food brands that have recently introduced olive oil or avocado oil mayo to the market, but although these are awesome, they are terribly expensive!
So save a chunk of change, and your health, by giving this recipe a try. Let us know what you think!