Serves: 1 cup
Total Time: 15 minutes plus overnight marinade
- 5 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dark maple syrup
- 1 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 sea salt and pepper
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Blend everything together in a food processor or blender until well-incorporated—the seeds will remain whole. Transfer to a jar and keep refrigerated—may last you 2-3 weeks if you don’t eat it all right away!
Turns out, mustard is in the brassica family—friends with our pals cauliflower and broccoli—who knew?? One of the super exciting benefits of brassicas is their high content of phytonutrients—little warriors that go to battle preventing the growth of existing cancer cells. There have also been some studies that indicate these guys can prevent the growth of these cells in the first place. Another secret weapon of mustard is selenium, which can aid in arthritis and asthma. Wait, wait, there’s more! Mustard seeds also contain omega 3’s, which are your brain lube, allowing the good stuff to flow across the brain’s fat barrier.