Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 star anise
- In a large saucepan combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with a cinnamon stick.
First off, you just can't go wrong with a glass of hot spiced apple cider to bring on the festivities of the autumn season and to warm you up as the days get colder. While I do see it as a special fall treat to enjoy occasionally, as it typically contains a lot of sugar, it is also balanced out with some quality nutrients. Apples are known for their vitamin B6 which supplies energy, vitamin C for fighting off free radicals, folate for maintaining healthy blood cells and vitamin K for assisting with blood clotting. Cinnamon is also wonderful for helping to regulate blood sugar; making it the perfect addition to apple cider!