Kale and Quinoa Salad
Total Time: 15 minutes, plus soaking time
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked in warm water and lemon overnight, drained and cooked
- 1 pinch unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/8 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sea salt and pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Combine tahini, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add kale and massage with your hands to break down the kale 2-3 minutes. Add onion, sunflower seeds and parsley. Mix to combine.
It takes some shopping around to find a great avocado oil that still maintains all of its integrity from being a beautiful, ripe fruit full of nourishing fats to an oil without a lot of processing. You want to look for cold-pressed and naturally-processed. The fat in avocado oil, though a low amount, assists in absorbing the carotenoids in your food—those are the guys that roam around searching out free radicals. One place that avocado oil has a particularly great impact in free-radical absorption is the skin, assisting in repairing sun damage as well nourishing and moisturizing the skin. So technically we could name this salad: Skin nourishing kale and quinoa salad!