- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine well. Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Bake crust for 5-7 minutes—do not brown. Let cool or chill for 1 hour.
- In a food processor blend all filling ingredients together until very smooth.
- Spoon filling into cooled pie crust. Chill or freeze for 4 hours before serving to allow the filling to set.
- Grate a bit of extra lime zest over the pie. (Can serve with a bit of organic heavy whipped cream if dairy is tolerated.)
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer if you don’t finish it immediately.
This key lime pie is a much lighter, healthier, gluten-free version of an old favorite! Avocados provide the healthiest fats you can find in the form of monounsaturated chains, which actually act as a delivery vehicle for nutrients. Our bodies need fats to help absorb vitamins! The texture of this mousse is super sexy (seriously, avocados are not only rich in fats, they have a rich history of assisting sexual health too!) The bananas add sweetness and even more whipped delight to this recipe, as well as a healthy dose of potassium to aid in muscle recovery. Almonds are packed with magnesium and vitamin E, while the limes are dosing you with a whole bunch of vitamin C.
As far as desserts go, when it comes to nutrition, this one takes the cake! Or should we say pie?