Lip Smacking Candied Yams
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 4 yams, medium
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, unrefined, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 cup hard apple cider
- 2 teaspoons butter, cut into pea-size pieces
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut yams into thick slices and boil until yams are almost tender, but still firm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and cider.
- Lightly coat an 8×8 inch baking dish with butter. Place the yams in the baking dish, then top with sugar mixture. Evenly scatter the butter pieces on top. Bake covered, until bubbly and the yams are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Top with pecans to serve.
This recipe was requested by one of our Good Decisions community members, Dianna! There is no refined sugar, gluten, marshmallows, or high fructose corn syrup in this recipe and when you taste it you will wonder, “why did we need all that stuff anyway? While it does contain less sugar than most candied sweet potato recipes it is still considered a sweet treat, not to be consumed… most of the time 😉
I left the skins on the yams but some family members rebelled against this and suggested I peel the yams before par boiling next time. Personally, because the skins contain many nutrients and fiber I would torture them with the skins all over again! I will leave this decision up to you when you make this dish. The skins are also easily removed in the completed dish.