Makes: 2 quarts
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, unrefined
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 32 ounces tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, organic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add the celery, carrots, spinach, salt, black and red pepper. Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and bay leaves and simmer uncovered until thickened, about 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh basil and vinegar.
Health Benefits of Marinara Primavera
Red for your heart! The lycopene in tomatoes has been shown (as an effect of its incredible antioxidant properties) to be linked with improved bone health. This is especially beneficial for women in preventing osteoporosis. In addition to lowering total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol, tomatoes have also been shown to assist in the prevention of clumping of platelets. This has a great impact on heart disease prevention and ceasing buildup of the bad stuff in the arteries.
Marinara Primavera is not your average pasta sauce! This sauce is full of flavor and contains an array of delicious veggies. It’s wonderful served over spaghetti squash instead of pasta 🙂