- 1/4 cup , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, (about 6 medium) cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.
- Arrange tomatoes on a platter to serve.
Health Benefits of Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a carotenoid pigment that functions as an antioxidant. Known for their role in protecting the prostate, tomatoes are also a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and potassium. Long known as a nutritious ingredient, the tomato has a heart healthy reputation. This makes it is easy to see why the Italians are so passionate about this tasty fruit!
Heirloom tomatoes are of especially high-quality. They are typically more nutrient-dense than your average tomato and also more juicy and sweet! When paired with fresh basil and parsley, you've got one gorgeous combination.