Mexican Quinoa Salad
Total Time: 20 minutes, plus soaking time
- 2 cups quinoa, soaked overnight and cooked
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds, soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 cup pinto beans, canned or dried. (If using dried soak overnight and cook before using.)
- 1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup organic corn, removed from the cob
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Dry the pumpkin seeds on a towel. Toast the pumpkin seeds briefly in a dry pan, just until they release a toasty fragrance.
- Whisk together lime juice, coconut oil, and spices in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
Quinoa is actually a seed (gluten free), and is considered a ‘perfect’ protein—it contains all nine essential amino acids, along with a healthy dose of fiber, helping to make the protein usable, accessible and long-lasting. Quinoa is also a good choice for those who suffer from migraines as it is packed with nutrients magnesium, manganese, iron, copper and phosphorous.