Serves: 10 to 12
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups leeks, chopped, white part only
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, or mushrooms of your choice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 18 large eggs
- to taste unrefined sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F
1. Butter a 9 ½ inch round fluted tart pan generously.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic, and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and sauté until liquid is absorbed and mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes. Add thyme, parsley and cook 1 minute. Transfer mixture to plate. Cool mushrooms completely.
3. Layer half the mushroom mixture evenly across the bottom of the tart pan. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining mushroom mixture.
4. Bake quiche until custard is set, about 35-45 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*This recipe can be made with a gluten free nut crust or without. Both are delicious!