Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 2½ cups almond meal, or flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup almond paste, (not marzipan)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar, unrefined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large bosc pears
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon peel, 1 inch piece
- 2 tablespoons water
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal, salt and cinnamon until combined. If there are big lumps, break them with your fingers. Add the butter, and stir together until the mixture has fully combined. You will end up with a big, cohesive ball of dough. Turn the dough onto a 9-inch tart pan. Press the crust into the pan with your fingers. Make sure to pat it evenly in the pan, and up the sides. Place the tart crust in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove.
- Beat together the almond paste, sugar, and butter. Mix in the eggs, salt, and almond extract and beat until light and fluffy. Don't worry if it seems like you didn't make enough as the frangipane will rise during baking.
3. Peel and core the pears, and then slice them thinly, about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Places the slices in a bowl with the lemon juice to help preserve their color.
4. Spread the frangipane over the bottom of the tart shell. Next, carefully arrange the pear slices in a decorative pattern.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pears take on a bit of color and the edges of the tart shell are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the tart bakes, place the apricot jam, lemon peel, vanilla extract, and water into a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, constantly stirring. Once it has reduced and thickened take it off the heat and set it aside. Once the tart is out of the oven brush the apricot glaze over the pears. Serve.