Makes: 10 oz.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups pecans, organic, shelled
- 2 teaspoons dark maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, organic
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup raisins, organic
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pecans on a sheet pan and toast for 6 minutes, rotating once.
- Add the pecans to the food processor and spin for 5-7 minutes, letting the butter come together to your desired consistency. Add the cinnamon, vanilla and salt and process until combined. Stir in the raisins.
- Transfer to a jar and store refrigerated for up to two months.
Get the skinny on fats: pecans are chock full of monounsaturated fatty acids such as oleic acid, and contain phenolic antioxidants (one of three classes of antioxidants that assist in disease prevention). Pumping some pecan fats into your diet can decrease total, as well as LDL (bad) and increase HDL (good) cholesterol. Pecans are a rich source for the B-complex group, including riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, B-6 and folates. In consort, these vitamins work together to metabolize enzymes in the body, not only helping to break down the good stuff, but to absorb it as well.