- 1 cup buckwheat, whole grain, (groats soaked overnight in lemon water and rinsed well)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pineapple, fresh and chopped
- 1 berries, to taste, (fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- 1 almonds, sliced, to taste
- In a medium saucepan heat buckwheat, broth, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and pineapple. Simmer for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed and groats are tender.
- Place groats in a bowl and top with your choice of berries, almonds and butter.
Health Benefits of Buckwheat Cereal
Buckwheat contains 22 grams of protein, 17 grams of fiber and almost 86 milligrams of magnesium in a one-cup serving. Magnesium relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow while lowering blood pressure, making buckwheat great for a healthy cardiovascular system. Buckwheat is gluten free and a great option for those allergic or sensitive to gluten and is a wonderful way for many vegans to get protein. Adding a dab of butter and a pinch of cinnamon to this buckwheat cereal is a fabulous way to start your day and will do much to aid blood sugar regulation as well.