Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
Total Time: 20 minutes (plus 12-24 hrs soaking time)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups pumpkin, cubed, skinned and deseeded
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon dark maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, leaves sliced thinly
- Soak quinoa in water overnight for 12-24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Combine quinoa, cubed pumpkin and water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves and maple syrup. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until pumpkin is soft and mixture thickens.
- Garnish with sage leaves and serve hot. Also great topped with unsweetened coconut flakes or chopped walnuts!
The bright orange color of pumpkin signifies that it is full of beta-carotene and vitamin A which helps to keep skin healthy and vibrant. It is also rich in other important antioxidants such as vitamin C and vitamin E. Pumpkin is very high in fiber and low in calories.
Quinoa is a protein-rich, high-fiber, gluten-free grain, although technically it’s a seed! It is high in iron, which helps to oxygenate our cells and provide us with energy, along with magnesium that helps to support our nervous system and promote relaxation. It is also full of essential amino acids.
This pumpkin quinoa breakfast porridge makes for a healthy and hearty breakfast. Be sure to make extra because it’s also a quick and easy lunch option!