- 3 cups organic almond milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 6 ounces ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate, semisweet is also an option for those who don't enjoy the bitterness of dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons dark maple syrup, dark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more if you like a spicy hot chocolate
1. Bring almond milk and cinnamon to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally and making sure milk doesn’t boil. When the cinnamon is fragrant, about 10 minutes whisk in chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and cayenne pepper, whisking frequently, until mixture is smooth and creamy and chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes.
2. Divide hot chocolate among mugs. Top with organic whipped cream (optional) and dust with a sprinkling of cayenne pepper or cinnamon.