Refried Black Beans
- 2 cups black beans, dried, soaked in water and 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice overnight
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat, or ghee
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 unrefined sea salt
1. Bring beans and 7½ cups water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
2. Using a wooden spoon, crush beans lightly in cooking liquid. Transfer beans and cooking liquid to a bowl and wipe out saucepan. Melt bacon fat over medium heat; add onions, garlic and cook until golden, 18–20 minutes. Return beans and liquid to pan and cook, stirring often, until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes more. Season with salt.
Fiber is the highlight of this mighty legume. Tired of constipation? increase your consumption of legumes. It doesn’y take much, as little as 1/2 cup of beans usually provides roughly 50% of your daily fiber needs. Add to this a hearty dose of molybdenum, folate, manganese, magnesium and zinc and you have one heck of a nutrient dense meal! And I didn’t even mention protein!