Total Time: 40 minutes
Sweet Potato Ingredients
- 4 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and sliced
- 1 , thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons , ground
- to taste unrefined sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Lemon Tahini Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- to taste crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place sweet potatoes and red onion in a large bowl. Add oil, cumin, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Pour mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, but not mushy.
- In a food processor (or with a hand blender), mix lemon juice and tahini together until well blended. Gradually whisk in olive oil and water, increasing or decreasing water until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a platter. Drizzle lemon tahini sauce over and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
Sweet potatoes contain a number of nutrients, but have an especially high percentage of vitamin A which helps to fight free radicals and boost the health of skin and eyes. These tubers also contain substantial amounts of vitamin B6 and potassium which support heart health. Tahini, which is ground up sesame seeds, is rich in many minerals, a number of B vitamins and healthy fats. I have to say, this flavor combination of roasted sweet potatoes and lemon tahini is absolutely scrumptious! It's one of my all-time favorite side dishes.