Makes: 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic clove, minced
- 1 orange, segmented and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine, port, or water
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 orange zest, or peel twisted for garnish
Directions for Savory Cranberry Sauce
1. Using a sharp knife, cut off the peel and the white pith from orange. Working over small bowl to catch juices, cut between membranes to release segments. Chop segments and return to bowl with juices. Set aside
2. In small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat; stir in onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add orange segments and juice, balsamic vinegar, wine, and cranberries. Bring mixture to a boil and cook, stirring often for 8 to 10 minutes or until cranberries are tender and sauce is thick. Garnish with orange twist or peel and serve hot or cold.
Cranberries are an All-Star Food and often associated with their ability to combat urinary tract infection. This is due to their high organic acid, anthocyanin, and polyphenol content which prevent bacteria from adhering to urinary tract walls. The primary health benefits of cranberries however go way beyond the urinary tract. The anthocyanin (antioxidant) compounds in cranberries are also exceptional at preventing heart disease and may improve cognitive function and eyesight! This makes Savory Cranberry Sauce a recipe to dish up all year long!