Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 yellow chili, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups turkey, shredded turkey leftovers (or ¾ lb. ground turkey)
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 1 large , sliced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 lime
- Prepare and dice veggies. In a food processor, combine poblano pepper, jalapeño pepper, onion, chili, garlic, salt, paprika, and olive oil until nearly blended, but small pieces are still distinguishable.
- Preheat large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté salsa on medium heat until mixture begins to caramelize (about 10 minutes). Add shredded, cooked turkey and sauté until hot and turkey mixes in well with the salsa. (If using ground turkey, sauté ground turkey first, until lightly brown, about 10 minutes, then add salsa and cook for another 5-10.)
- Serve mixture on warmed organic corn tortillas, topped with avocado, green onion, cabbage, and lime.
Turkey is a rich source of protein and also contains an array of minerals like zinc, iron, potassium and phosphorus. We like to associate turkey with sleepiness, as it contains tryptophan, but this amino acid actually helps to produce serotonin, so turkey is also a happiness and immune booster! Peppers are wonderful for stimulating the metabolism and increasing circulation within the body.
Unlike a lot of delicious traditional Mexican food, these turkey tacos are nice and light! They are filling and savory, but the addition of cabbage and lime also make them a refreshing, fiber-rich lunch or dinner meal. Great as leftovers too!