Total Time: 30 minutes prep time, 6 hours cook time
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon epazote (Mexican oregano)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot Spanish pimento, or other hot, smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 pounds short ribs, bone in
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, organic
- 1 22 oz espresso stout beer
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 can chipotle chiles, in adobo, chopped, sauce reserved
- 1 28oz can can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 cups black beans, soaked overnight and cooked until only slightly firm, drained
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, cut in half, insides removed
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Drizzle the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Season the short ribs liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and brown the short ribs on all sides. When you have achieved a dark brown crust, turn off the heat and set aside.
- When the pumpkin is cool enough to handle, slice it into 1 inch wedges and remove the peel with a paring knife. Chop the pumpkin into chunks.
- Add all ingredients, including the short ribs, to a slow cooker. Set on low and allow to come together for 6-8 hours. The chili will be well-cooked at this point, but can get even better after resting in the fridge for a day or so, so don’t be afraid to make ahead!
Pumpkins are loaded with vitamin A, which is fabulous for eyesight and skin health. They are also chock-full of fiber, but low in calories, helping to keep you fuller, longer. Their saturated orange color is thanks to beta-carotene, which is a potent antioxidant. Beta carotene from food sources, as opposed to supplements, is also much more effective. It is fabulous for its anti-aging capabilities and for fighting off wrinkles. Pumpkins also contain more potassium than bananas, so they are a great post-workout choice and help to balance fluids in the body.