Spiced and Roasted Chickpeas (With a Kick!)
Makes: 3 cups
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 15oz can chickpeas, (aka garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red palm oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange the oven rack so it is positioned in the middle of the oven.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients until well coated.
- Spread the chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Health Benefits of Roasted Chickpeas
Did you know that only second to the soybean, the chickpea (or garbanzo bean) is the most widely grown and eaten bean in the world? It has been a part of many cultures’ traditional diets for centuries. Chickpeas are incredibly high in dietary fiber as well the nutrients manganese, folate, copper and phosphorous. They are complex carbohydrates that allow slow and sustained absorption. Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and are known to support the heart, promote weight loss and aid digestion.
These spiced and roasted chickpeas are a fabulously healthy snack for adults and kids alike!