- Preheat broiler.
- Heat an 8-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add mushrooms to pan and sauté until lightly browned. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Place mushroom and spinach mixture in a medium bowl to cool slightly.
- Combine mushrooms, thyme, ground black pepper, salt, eggs (and cheese if adding) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Heat same pan over medium heat and coat with 1 tablespoon butter. Add mushroom mixture and cook, covered, for 3 minutes or until almost set.
- Then broil 3 minutes or until egg is fully set. Cut into 4 wedges and serve.
Eggs are high in protein and also in “the beauty mineral” of sulfur which helps to fortify your hair, skin and nails. Mushrooms have developed quite a reputation as all-star immune boosters and also supply an array of minerals and phytonutrients. Spinach is loaded with antioxidants, fat soluble vitamins, and minerals that help to keep your body alkaline.
A frittata is a wonderful way to create a special egg breakfast without the heavy dairy and crust of a traditional quiche. A frittata is essentially a “crustless quiche”, yet it is very light and fluffy. It is also a great way to make use of any leftover veggies! Have stirfry from the night before? Throw it in!