- Remove the bone and outer rind from the pork ribs. Cut into ½ inch slices.
- Put the coconut sugar in a wok with 2 tablespoons water and stir until dissolved. Increase temperature to medium heat and add the pork and shallots. Stir to coat.
- Add fish sauce, Bragg’s sauce, aniseed, pepper and 1 cup warm water. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes stirring often until sauce is sticky and meat is cooked and tender.
- Place pork onto 4 plates and garnish with cilantro. Serve!
Asian-style protein dishes that are similar to this Sweet Aniseed Pork, such as General Tso’s or Sweet & Sour Chicken are typically, breaded, deep fried and can contain a boatload of refined white sugar and even MSG. Bad news! This dish contains no such things and yet still retains that sticky, sweet and salty texture and flavor. Plus it’s got a much more interesting taste than average Chinese take-out!
And did you know that anise seed is an excellent remedy for asthma and bronchitis?