Total Time: 15 minutes, plus freezing time
- 3 cups pineapple, organic, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, canned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dark maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Place the diced pineapple in an airtight container, in a single layer, and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Break the pineapple up a bit with your hands to be easy on your food processor. Blend the pineapple, coconut milk, and maple syrup in the food processor until the texture reaches a choppy, grainy consistency.
3. While blending, add the water, a little bit at a time, until your desired texture (smooth like sorbet) is achieved. You may not use all the water, and you may need a spoon or two more depending on the water content of your pineapple.
4. Spoon into serving dish and top with coconut flakes. the diced pineapple in an airtight container, in a single layer, and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
Pineapples contain ferulic acid, an antioxidant which is becoming more popular in topical skincare for its ability to repair UV damage in the skin. It also has a good dose of manganese, which is an essential aid in the functioning of antioxidants, promoting their efficacy. Pineapple is also known to aid in digestion, and has substantial amounts of vitamin c—just look at its color! So, enjoy this pina colada in the shade, and be good to your skin.