Total Time: 5 minutes, plus freezing time
- 2 very ripe organic bananas, peeled
- 3 tablespoons organic, all-natural peanut butter
- Cut the bananas into small coins and place in an airtight container. Freeze the banana for at least two hours, or overnight.
- Whizz the banana in a food processor for about 5 minutes, watching it go through a crumbly stage, into a fluffy, creamy stage. Add the peanut butter and continue to blend until incorporated. You can also use a commercial blender such as a vitamix blender for a creamier consistency
- Spoon into a jar and freeze until solid, about 4 hours.
Sadly, most ice creams, even the ‘natural’ ones, are chock-full of not-so-good-decisions—emulsifiers (often in the form of soy), cow dairy, white sugar, no-good saturated fats…and on and on. This treat reminds us that sometimes simplicity can be the most satisfying answer. And remember that treating yourself means treating yourself well: bananas contain potassium for aiding in fluid balance in the body, prevent cramping for athletes, support the kidneys, have pectin in the form of fiber, and their high levels of B6 also aid in white blood cell production. Remember all those days of reaching for a milkshake for a sore throat and only feeling worse for it? When you are immune-compromised, stuffy or otherwise inflamed, dairy spurs mucus production. This frozen treat will do you right on a sunny day when you are feeling healthy as can be and want to stay that way, or feeling under the weather and need an indulgent pick-me-up that you won’t regret.