Vegan Chocolate Truffles
Makes: 15 Truffles
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup pecans, raw
- 1 cup walnuts, raw
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped (for topping)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder, (for topping)
- 1/4 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes, (for topping)
- Place pecans and walnuts in a food processor and process until it reaches the consistency of a meal. Remove and set aside in a small bowl.
- Place pitted dates in the food processor and process until it forms into a ball. Add in the cacao powder and ½ of the nut meal and pulse. Continue pulsing and adding the nut meal a little at a time until dough is formed. Once you have a dough that’s easy to form into balls, scoop out 1 tablespoon amounts and carefully form into balls.
- Set balls on parchment paper and place in freezer to chill.
- In the meantime, place chopped hazelnuts, cacao powder and coconut flakes each on separate plates. Remove truffles from freezer and, one at a time, roll them in the topping of your choice. Transfer back onto parchment paper and top with sea salt if desired. Repeat until all truffles are coated.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. Transfer to freezer for longer term storage.
We tend to think of truffles as one of the most decadent sweet treats. They are typically little balls full of corn syrup, sweetened chocolate and heavy cream… aka the furthest thing from healthy! And might I add, all too tempting to pop into your mouth.
Never fear because Good Decisions is here to give decadence a healthful new twist. These bad boys are actually incredibly good for you! Can you imagine that?! With no refined sugar or sweetened chocolate, these truffles boast a much lower sugar content. With an array of nuts, they contain a wealth of healthy fats that will actually help to stabilize your blood sugar rather than making it go haywire. Believe it or not raw cacao is also incredibly healthful. It is full of antioxidants and magnesium for a healthy heart and proper brain functioning. Did you know that we often crave chocolate when our bodies are lacking magnesium?
So make a batch of these delicious truffles next time you have a chocolate hankering! Do your body good while at the same time feel like a queen eating her bonbons 🙂