- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, large, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 unrefined sea salt
- 1 ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Arrange tomato slices on a large platter (or on individual plates if you are doing individual portions).
- Tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle liberally over the slices. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.
True Italian Insalata Caprese is served with mozzarella cheese and does not have vinegar. Removing the cheese makes this dish friendly to those with dairy sensitivities and adding vinegar adds flavor and stimulates digestion. Just what an appetizer is designed to do!
Tomatoes are a good source of vitamins A, vitamin C and especially the potent antioxidant, lycopene. This is not only what gives the tomato it's red color, but also provides anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and blood sugar balancing benefits. The olive oil in this recipe will help to absorb all this wonderful nutrition!