Makes: 4 cups
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 large delicata squash
- 5 medium carrots
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Coat the squash lightly with olive oil (on the cut side). Season with salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Place cut side up on a cookie sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- About 10 minutes into the roasting, lightly coat the carrots in olive oil and add to the sheet to continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- While the squash and carrots are roasting, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat in a 2 quart sauce pan until translucent. Add the garlic and continue sautéeing until golden brown.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Scoop the squash out into the pot with the onions and garlic with a spoon, discarding the skin. Add the carrots and half of the stock.
- Using an immersion blender, working in short bursts, begin to purée the ingredients. As the vegetables become smoother, add the remainder of the stock and the coconut milk and blend until well incorporated and soup is smooth and creamy.
- Reheat if necessary. Garnish with chili sauce.
Squash is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants, as well as vitamin A. The beautiful color of the squash in this vegan carrot coconut squash soup is your cue that it contains carotenoids, specifically beta-carotene, which converts directly to vitamin A and is believed to be a strong deterrent against breast cancer and macular degeneration. Think orange, think healthy skin and eyes!