Zucchini Basil Soup with Ginger and Chives
Serves: 4 to 6
Total Time: 50 Minutes
- 2 pounds zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
Directions For Zucchini Basil Soup with Ginger and Chives
1. Cook yellow onions, chives, ginger and garlic in oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add zucchini and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes. Add broth and simmer, partially covered, until zucchini is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Purée soup with basil in 2 batches in an upright blender. Return to saucepan and ladle into shallow bowls. Garnish with basil leaves and or chives as garnish.
Basil leaves are well known for their antimicrobial properties. What many people don’y know is that basil works amazingly well at reducing menstrual cramps. In fact, this Zucchini Basil Soup with Ginger and Chives recipe was created with ginger, onions and garlic on purpose for the intention of enhancing it’s cramp reducing effectiveness.
Not feeling like soup, and want something more refreshing with the same potential? Check out our Sweet Cucumber Basil Juice recipe. It is a cramp killing super hero!
Want to know more about basil and how it works? Read all about it here: Basil and Menstrual Cramps